Vignette: A Brief, But Powerful Scene
Valerie has an exceptional talent and love for arranging accessories into beautiful displays. Her design firm used to be called Vignettes of Refinement, but the word vignettes confused too many people. I love vocabulary.com’s definition of VIGNETTE: A brief, but powerful scene.
Eventually, to simplify things, she changed her firm’s name to The Home and Garden Stylist. The name change has made life easier and it still implies her ability to create order out of unwieldy accessories and collections. The following photos of displays, designed by Val, illustrate how to attract the eye with effective vignettes.
Use the following rules to help you create attractive vignettes. Rules 1, 2, 3 and 4 can be used separately or together, but rules 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 are the law!
10 Rules for Displaying Collections and Accessories:
1) Display Similar Items.
2) Display Similar Colors.
3) Display Similar Materials.
4) An odd number of items in a vignette is usually the most attractive; a stack of items can read as a single item.
5) Just because you have it doesn’t mean you should show it or (for that matter) keep it.
6) Collections should be shown together, they tend to look chaotic when they are scattered around a room or home.
7) Display only the best of the best! When collections get too large, they become unwieldy and lose their impact. Exercise discipline and become an editor of your accessories, so that your best things get to be the star ✩.
8) Try corralling small items on a tray, a plate, a book or a small shelf. Small objects look busy and and messy when they are not anchored by a properly scaled platform to sit upon.
9) Don’t be afraid of negative space. Negative space is the empty space / the breathing room around your displays that allows the eye to take in the beauty of your special things. If you want your surroundings to be restful and attractive and if you want to live with good design, negative space is imperative!
10) Rework old vignettes. Look at your collections and accessories with new eyes. A hoard of accessories and mementos makes a room feel stale and oppressive.
✤ If you liked this post, you will probably like the following posts, too. Click on the links below to see them!
✤ Challenge: Create one attractive vignette in your home today!